Johnson City Tennessee

Johnson City is a city located in the northeastern part of the U.S. state of Tennessee, with most of its population coming from Washington County. As of the 2010 census, the population of Johnson City was 63,152, and by 2019 the estimated population was 67,158. The city is the county seat of Washington County and is one of three principal cities of the Johnson City Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is a component of the Johnson City–Kingsport–Bristol combined statistical area – commonly known as the “Tri-Cities” region.

Johnson City is ranked as the 24th-best city in Tennessee to live in, according to WalletHub. It is also home to East Tennessee State University.

The city was founded in 1856 by Henry Johnson as a station for the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad, with the name of “Johnson’s Depot”. It originally consisted of a small depot, a store, and a tavern located at the present site of Downtown Johnson City. In 1869, the station became known as “Mud Hole”, due to the mud and flooding conditions at the depot caused by heavy rains. In 1879, Johnson City was chartered as a city, and in 1880 it officially became known as Johnson City.

In the early 20th century, Johnson City served as headquarters for the narrow gauge East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad ( nicknamed “Tweetsie”).

During the American Civil War, before it was formally incorporated in 1869, the town of Johnson’s Depot was a site of some importance. Confederate General Robert E. Lee and his entire army spent the night there on their way to Virginia in 1862, as did Union General Ambrose Burnside and his troops after their victory at Cumberland Gap in 1863.

The town was also important as a railroad hub for the Confederacy and was thusly fortified to protect against raids by Union troops. Johnson’s Depot fell to Union forces under General George Stoneman in May 1865, two months after the main Confederate army surrendered at Appomattox Court House. The depot was burned, but the town was spared destruction.

After the war, Johnson City began to grow rapidly as a commercial center for the iron and coal industries of East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. Its population increased from 575 in 1866 to 1,999 in 1890. By 1900, it was already one of the largest cities in Tennessee. It continued to grow rapidly during much of the early 20th century, reaching a peak of 17,292 in 1930. However, growth slowed during the Great Depression. It began to grow again in the late 1940s when the United States Interstate Highway System was created and Johnson City became an important stop along Interstate 26 which connects it with Bristol, Kingsport, and Asheville, North Carolina.

As of the 2010 census, Johnson City had a population of 63,152 people. The racial and ethnic composition was as follows:

* 82.8% non-Hispanic White

* 9.7% African American

* 0.4% Native American

* 1.7% Asian

* 4.5% from other races

* 2.2% from two or more races

Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.3% of the population.

As of the census of 2000, there were 56,813 people, 22,985 households, and 12,821 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,393.0 people per square mile (537.9/km2). There were 25,042 housing units at an average density of 615.8 per square mile (237.1/km2).